Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Food Trucks: The Tacoholics Taco Truck is Coming to a Parking Lot Near You


Note: It is my dream to eat at a food truck in every state across America. Of course I am starting with El Paso, and with Tacoholics, the impetus for my food truck love affair. Where do you live? What are the good food trucks in your area?

Jesse Pena spent months searching for funding and a location for a restaurant he longed to open. Luckily for foodies smitten with gourmet street tacos, Pena opened his restaurant in the back of a truck when funding and the location didn’t materialize. Partnering with his wife, Pena created Tacoholics Taco Truck, a food truck serving Pena’s delectable street tacos. Pictured here are the South Texan and Korean tacos.

Recently Pena’s truck was in the parking lot of my office (lucky me) and because I was fourth in line, I took the chance to interview the other diners. Two patrons follow the Tacoholics Taco Truck on Facebook and Twitter and track the truck down weekly for lunch, and for a midnight snack when he’s parked outside of a bar at 2 a.m. The third patron couldn’t talk because he was a spy, soon opening his own gourmet burger truck and he was ordering lunch and doing some recon. (I will make sure to post information on this exciting culinary development, when it becomes available.)

Per meal, you can expect to spend $6, or $1.50 per taco, or $5.99 for the Mexican Philly. Sides are periodically on the menu; if the Boracho beans are available, try them and you will thank me for adding smokey, delicious beans to your meal. Pena has vegetarian options on the menu too, serving delicious Tofu tacos every lunch and periodically serving up nopalito tacos. Most people I know are crazy about the tofu tacos and the Mexican Philly, but I see plenty of taco plates served to diners whenever I’m at the truck.

My favorite tacos are the South Texans served with top sirloin, grilled onions and Asadero cheese. Although I tried and enjoyed the Koreans and the Mixto, the South Texans are savory and satisfying, I rarely order anything else.

Everything is made fresh, and I usually eat the meal five minutes within getting my tacos in my hands. If you can afford to eat close to the truck, do it, as the food is so much better right off the grill and although there isn’t seating, you can just park it on the curb.

Because this is a new trend in El Paso dining, especially for the lunch crowd, the Tacoholics could use some fans on Facebook, followers on Twitter and busy lunch locations. Read below for the handles and contact information and be sure to tell Pena that Lisa D. from The Stanton Mag Crew sent you.

Many El Pasoans are very passionate about filling this city with good dining options and the quickest way to do that is via food truck. Tacoholics is a fantastic start to a food truck revolution in El Paso. I look forward to seeing you in line.

Facebook: Tacoholics
Twitter: @Tacoholics
Email: tacoholics@yahoo.com

For future dining reference, I post all of my food reviews on Yelp.com, click here to read more of my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment